1. Can I travel with any kind of animal species outside of Brazil?

The animal species that usually travel outside of Brazil (like dogs, cats, and ferrets) have simplified documentations. The Brazilian animals mentioned in the IBAMA endangered list (Brazilian Institute of the Environment and Renewable Natural Resources), are obviously prohibited. 
All the other species can be considered as ‘pet’ and be exported. However, for some of the them, in addition to the Ministry of Agriculture clearance, your animal will also need the permission from IBAMA (CITES - Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) and corresponding institutions of your country of destination.


2. What do I need to travel outside of Brazil with my dog (or cat)?

For any international trip, a health history report must be declared in a document issued by the veterinary authorities of the country of origin, and accepted by the country of destination. In Brazil, these documents are: the Cats and Dogs Transit Passport and/or International Animal Health Certificate (CZI or CVI). Both are issued and/or canceled by the FFA (Federal Agricultural Tax) of the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply (MAPA), saved in the VIGIAGRO (International Agricultural Surveillance System) whether in airports, shipping ports, border checkpoints, special customs, or the Federal Agricultures Superintendence of States.
In some countries, extra documents can be required in order to allow the entry of your pet on their territory, and this in addition to the standard animal health history report (declared in the Passport or CVI/CZI).

3. What’s the difference between the Passport and the CZI?

Both documents intend to certify the animal’s health conditions and compliance with sanitary requirements for international transit to the country of destination. The main difference is that the Passport can be used multiple times throughout the animal’s life, while the CVI/CZI must be issued for every trips the animal will perform. With the passport, the sanitary & health information is only approved (validated) by the FFA at the time of the trip.

4. Is the Passport mandatory for international trips?

No. The Cats and Dogs Transit Passport can be used only in countries that accept it as CVI/CZI substitution, which is mandatory for international transit of cats and dogs.  So far, the Pet Passport is only accepted in Mercosur countries.




5. How to proceed if you want to bring a cat or a dog in Brazil?


The owner needs to contact the veterinary authorities of the country of origin in order to get a CVI (International Veterinary Certificate) or similar document, attesting of the compliance with the Brazilian sanitary requirements.



6. What are the sanitary requirements to allow the entrance of an animal in Brazil?


Animals older than 90 (ninety) days should be vaccinated against rabies, using vaccines (authorized by the Veterinary Authorities) from the country of origin.
When it comes to animals previously vaccinated against rabies, leaving the country of origin shall be authorized only after 21 (twenty-one) days from the application of this vaccine.
Animals with less than 3 (three) months may enter Brazil provided that the Veterinary Authority (from the country of origin) certify in the CZI that, the age of the animal is less than ninety (90) days, and that the animal wasn’t living in any property which had cases of urban rabies in the last ninety (90) days, based on the owner’s declaration and/or the official epidemiological information.
The country (or area) of origin, that complies with the provisions of the relevant chapter of the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) to be declared officially free of rabies, although without official approved vaccine, will be exempted from the application of the vaccine. In this case, Brazil must recognize this condition and the certificate (from origin country) must be included within the certificate.
The CSI must include information about immunizations against other diseases. Furthermore, it should include the veterinary treatments applied to the animal in the last three (3) months.
Within fifteen (15) days prior to the CZI’s issue, the animal must be submitted to an efficient and wide spectrum treatment against internal and external parasites, using veterinary products approved by the Veterinary Authority of the country of origin.
Within ten (10) days prior to the CZI’s issue, the animal must be submitted to a clinical examination by a registered vet in the country of origin, stating that the animal is clinically healthy with no evidence of parasitosis, and can be transferred to Brazil.
Brazil can prohibit the entry on his territory for animals previously diagnosed with Leishmaniasis.



7. Does the CZI has an expiration date?


Yes. The document is valid for about 5 (five) to 10 (ten) days (depending on the country) allowing entry in the country of destination. It remains valid from the date of issue (by Vigiagro) until the arrival in the country of destination.
If the journey takes more than 10 days (shipping for example), the CZI validity period can be extended. Important note:
The CZI is valid for a period of sixty (60) calendar days from the date of issue, for the entry or return to the MERCOSUR* countries. In this case, the vaccination against rabies must be valid within the CZI validity period.
The CZI issued by other countries is valid for sixty (60) days for the entry of animals on Brazilian territories, provided that it has been issued according to IN 05/2013.

*States of MERCOSUR: Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela.



8. What are the risks of traveling without CZI or legalized passport?


The certificate and authenticated passport act as animal health certificates, to get the entry into the country you want. 
Without these documents, the animal is subject to arrest, deportation or euthanasia by the health authorities of the destination country. 
The required vaccines, moreover, protect your dog or cat against endemic diseases.



9. Is the anti-rabies vaccine from municipal or state campaigns, valid for international transit?


It depends. The vaccination certificate should include the following information: Vaccine trade name, vaccine batch number, veterinary signature, and application date. Usually, vaccination made in municipal or state campaigns do not provide a vaccination certificate with all the required information, in which case, the document would not be accepted to support the international transit of dogs and cats.



10. Are there specific requirements for the shipping crate for my dog or cat?

Yes, there are rules to determine the ideal carrying case. It depends on the size and weight of the animal, and also the airline company internal rules (cie in charge of the transport).



11. Do I need to give any medicine to my pet during the journey?


The use of medications and tranquilizers are at the discretion of the veterinary in charge of your pet, and in accordance with the airline's rules.
However, at Universal Pet Brazil we do not recommend the use of tranquilizers, as your pet may not be able to fight against potential turbulence, being thrown to the sides of his crate (shipping box). 
And if your pet regurgitates (vomit), no help can be provided in case of choking. Also, the breathing conditions of Braqueocephalic races can worsen considerably in case of crisis. We recommend replacing chemical tranquillizer by natural tranquilizer.



12. In case my pet got sick abroad, how do I return with it to Brazil?


You must look for a vet to treat it before the return flight. 
You can only return, with your dog (or cat), to Brazil with the International Veterinary Certificate or equivalent, issued or endorsed by the health authority of the country of origin, within the validity period, and certifying full health conditions.

13. Can I feed and water my pet before the trip?

The day of the trip, the ideal is not to feed it, or at the most 6 hours before going to the airport. Mainly because if your pet regurgitates (vomit) on the way to the airport it may feel unwell during the trip.
The ideal is to get to the airport 3 to 4 hours before the flight, to do the check-in immediately (you and your pet’s check-ins are done at the same time and place), and with the given extra time you will be able to walk your pet, feed him, and water him before boarding. On the plane the effects of traveling with the "belly" full are less damaging than when traveling by car.


14. Can I bring food left over from the trip?

These products are forbidden to enter in Brazil as they represent potential sanitary.

15. To travel within Brazil by plane, car or others, is it necessary to have my dog or cat documentation?


In domestic trips, while travelling the owner must have to hand the animal's vaccination card, proving vaccination against rabies and the health certificate issued by the vet with registration to CRMV-UF. 
If the certificate shows that the rabies vaccination is up to date, this document is enough. The passport (updated by your pet veterinary) is also accepted for domestic travel.

16. What do I need to do to travel within Brazil with other kind of animal?

Any animals other than cat or dog must have an Animal Transit Guide (Guia de Trânsito Animal - GTA) to travel within the country. The document must be obtained in the offices of the Secretaria de Defesa Agropecuária Coordenação Geral da Vigilância.



17. I’m travelling in a country where the language is different from Portuguese. How the authorities will understand what is written in the CZI?


Besides Portuguese, the CZIs are also issued in the official language of the country of destination, or in English.



18. How to proceed in order to bring other species to Brazil?


To bring other animal species (other than dogs and cats) to Brazil, such as turtle, rabbit, iguana, parrot fish, guinea pig, ferret, etc., the sanitary requirements vary according to the country of origin.